Cardiovascular diseases (CVD) are the leading cause of death in Germany, causing a total of approximately 40% of all deaths. Tailoring treatment to the individual cardiovascular patient has revolutionized cancer therapy, but personalized medicine has yet to make much headway in the treatment of cardiovascular disease
Are mini thrombi a functional blood cell biomarker and therefore a opportunity to determine patient risks? Does this support preventive medicine, monitoring of CVD patients, and their therapy?
• Early detection of patients with cardiovascular risk
• High-resolution and high-contrast imaging of mini thrombi through a novel microscopy technique
• Color map of single platelets and a small PLT-aggregates (mini thrombus)
• Taking personalized medicine to heart. Nat Med 24, 113 (2018)
• Swirski, F.: Platelets have a dangerous hold over immune cells in cardiovascular disease. Nature 577, 323-324, (2020).
Details of the funding initiative :
Go-Bio-initial (BMBF) as a two-stage funding initiative (exploratory/feasibility phase) www.bmbf.de/foerderungen/bekanntmachung-2722.html
Heinz-Nixdorf-Chair of Biomedical Electronics: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Chair for Data Processing: email@example.com