TUM ranks one of top 25 in 5 subjects in QS World University Rankings
In QS World University Rankings by Subject, the Technical University of Munich (TUM) ranks globally as one of the top 25 excellent universities in 5 subjects,
Also TUM is one of the top 50 in 6 further subject areas and ranks no. 19 overall in engineering sciences and no. 28 in natural sciences.
These rankings of quality in universities are summarized by the service provider QS Quacquarelli Symonds (UK), based on interviews of academics as well as employers.
The universities are also surveyed by their scientific papers and citations, research and international research networks.
These indicators are weighted according to the prevailing culture in the various subject areas.
TUM currently is no.19 (29 earlier) in Engineering and Technology and no. 28 (31 earlier) in Natural Sciences. In both areas in Germany TUM is top 1.
TUM ranks one of the top 25 universities in the world:
• Physics / Astronomy: 16 (in Germany: 1)
• Electrical & Electronic Engineering: 18 (in Germany: 1)
• Architecture / Built Environment: 21 (in Germany: 2)
• Mechanical, Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering: 21 (in Germany: 2)
• Chemistry: 22 (in Germany: 1)
TUM ranks one of the top 50 universities in the world::
• Agriculture / Forestry: 27 (in Germany: 2)
• Computer Science / Information Systems: 29 (in Germany: 1)
• Statistics / Operational Research: 32 (in Germany: 1)
• Materials Science: 35 (in Germany: 3)
• Biological Sciences: 43 (in Germany: 3)
• Civil & Structural Engineering: 49 (in Germany: 1)
The QS World University Rankings of mid-2021 shows TUM as no. 50 and as no.3 of the top European universities. TUM is on the top of the German universities for the current and previous seven years.
TUM is excellent results in other rankings, e.g. THE World University Rankings by Subject, where TUM presently ranks as no.14 in computer science, no. 22 in engineering, no. 23 in physical sciences with natural sciences, no. 43 in life sciences.